Tuesday, September 20, 2005
On this day:

Siegelman: I'm sorry I hired a bunch of deadbeats

From the Mobile Register's "Political Skinny" yesterday:
Former Gov. Don Siegelman, whose administration remains under investigation by Montgomery federal grand jurors, is nevertheless working hard at his re-election campaign.

In a fund-raising letter dated Sept. 12, he owned up to some "mistakes" and "missteps" during this gubernatorial tenure from 1999 to 2003.

"Looking back over my term as governor, it is obvious to me that I made mistakes -- but I have now learned from them.

"I made a couple of 'bad' hires, I should have used more senior advisers, and I should have taken your phone calls and seen my friends personally when you wanted to give me advice. For these missteps I am truly sorry."

Siegelman was indicted by a Birmingham-based federal grand jury last year but prosecutors abandoned the case after a federal judge dismissed key charges.
Who were those "bad hires," I wonder? Do tell, Governor Siegelman.