Thursday, October 06, 2005
On this day:

More from Siggy

The guy just doesn't stop.

Siegelman said he learned a lot about how to govern in his first term and admitted to making mistakes.“I learned a lot about myself in addition to mistakes I made as governor," he said. “One, while I had a lot of good people around me, I obviously made some hires I should not have made.

“I needed more gray hair and more gray matter around me," he said. “I should have taken time to listen to my friends who I had depended on over the years to get me elected secretary of state and attorney general and lieutenant governor."
How's that for passing the buck? (Wonder if he includes his boy Nick Bailey in that list of bad hires?)
“I am going to be the only candidate in this race who is for a lottery," he said. “We could raise as much as $1 billion through a lottery, money that is now going to gambling interests in other states."
Just what we need. A state-run gambling operation led by a man who never passed up an opportunity for corruption.
If elected, Siegelman said he would support a constitutional convention to rewrite the 1901 Alabama Constitution and taxing out-of-state landowners at a higher rate.

I'm not sure what Siegelman has in mind here, but if he is proposing to tax out-of-state landowners at a higher rate than those who live in-state, that may well be unconstitutional. See Article IV Section 2 of the U.S. Constitition: "The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states."