Tuesday, May 23, 2006
On this day:

Lucy takes on intelligent design

Given the legal and ethical clouds surrounding Don Siegelman, Mrs. Baxley should be a shoo-in for her party's gubernatorial nomination. She's not, though, and the major reason for that is becoming clearer every day: Mrs. Baxley is in over her head. For those who may be bewildered by Lucy Baxley's reluctance to discuss the major issues facing the state, the following exchange from a recent Birmingham News interview is particularly revealing:
[Q:] Do you support the teaching of intelligent design in public schools?

Baxley: "Describe what you mean by intelligent design.

[Q:] Critics refer to it as the new version of creationism, that there must be a grand creator behind life on Earth.

Baxley: "Let me tell you first of all, I believe in the grand creator. That is unwavering in my belief."

[Q.] As governor, would you propose legislation calling for the teaching of intelligent design?

Baxley: "No, I would not. I have my faith and my belief and what creation is to me. This is the core of my being. And I have a great respect for others having their relationship with their creator and their beliefs just like I do. This idea will never begin with me. But if someone came forward with that idea, you've just described what puts it in the hands of the people, it would have to go through committees for the public to be heard on it. Then it would be voted on by the voting members of the Legislature that the people have sent down there to cast their votes for them. Let me just say this. I can't think of a situation under which I would personally be supportive of it."