Monday, July 17, 2006
On this day:

Don Siegelman - Always the politician

If Don Siegelman's trip to Huntsville over the weekend is any indication, he seems to be taking his conviction on federal corruption charges in stride:
(Huntsville Times) At the table where he ate bacon and biscuits, he kept his face to the back room of Mullins restaurant, where patrons would pass near him on their way to the cash register. Some didn't care to come say hello; the lifetime politician has long since learned when to just let those nonfans walk on by.

But when he sensed even a glimmer of intrigue or support, he hopped out of the booth, shook their hands and gave his self-deprecating smile, shrug and mantra: "When you've been blessed by the best, you don't worry about the mess." ...

And what a mess. Siegelman - elected to more statewide offices that anyone else in Alabama history - has not only lost his last two bids for governor, he's facing real jail time and fines for his recent convictions on bribery, obstruction of justice, conspiracy and mail fraud charges.

For Siegelman, even worse than that, he's had to concede that his career - his life in politics - is over.

"It was difficult enough to raise money when I was an indicted former governor," he said. "I just can't imagine it working any better as a convicted former governor." ...

"I know I'd gladly accept it if the judge decided to throw out the convictions, but I'd rather have a new trial," he said. "I want to prove my innocence."

Some would say he had that chance during his last trial, the one that started May 1 and ended June 29 with guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty.

"But look at all the things the jury didn't find me guilty of," Siegelman said, joking. With seven of 32 counts getting guilty verdicts, he was acquitted of 25. ...

On the off chance that a judge should grant it, could he afford a new trial?
"Well, I've cashed in my retirement, we've used all of our savings, and the insurance settlement we got when the hurricane wiped out our beach house on Dauphin Island is all gone," he said. "We'll do what we have to do. This, too, shall pass. Fortunately, I've got a very frugal wife." ...

"I'm leaving here to go see a man in Cullman about a job," Siegelman said, leaving a $5 tip for a meal that cost less than that. "If you know of anyone who needs the legal services of a convicted former governor, pass my name along."
That's almost enough to make me feel sympathetic for the guy. Almost.