Tuesday, August 15, 2006
On this day:

Economic liberty feels right at home in Auburn

Don't miss this Wall Street Journal piece on the Ludwig Von Mises Institute in Auburn. Here's a taste:
AUBURN, Ala. -- Growing up next door in Georgia, I never thought of Alabama as a beacon of intellect. Living in its capital city of Montgomery for two years didn't exactly change my mind. It wasn't until I moved to Europe a couple of years ago that I realized the Heart of Dixie was also the heart of sensible economic thinking.

One by one, I met young capitalist Continentals who had studied in Auburn. Not at Auburn University, mind you. Alabama's largest college is associated more with free-running athletes like Bo Jackson than with free-market philosophers. Rather, my Continental acquaintances had spent time at the Ludwig von Mises Institute, an unaffiliated think tank located just off-campus that preaches the works of Friedrich Hayek, Murray Rothbard and other economists from the Austrian School -- including, of course, the institute's namesake.
You'll find the Von Mises Institute blog here. There's also a link in the sidebar.