Sunday, November 12, 2006
On this day:

Heading to the desert

(And no, it's not to meet up with all the Republicans who recently arrived there.)

Later this morning, I'll be flying out to San Diego, then driving about three and a half hours over to Yuma, Arizona, where I'll be spending most of the next week. Yuma's an interesting little town. It's located just across the Colorado River from California and about 30 miles from the Mexican border. Right smack-dab in the middle of the Sonoran Desert. Lots of mountains, sand, cacti, and border patrol agents. And of course, plenty of good, authentic Mexican food. (They even have cactus soup...not that I'd recommend it.)

It's also known as the "Lettuce Capital of the World"...partly because so much lettuce is grown there (oddly enough) and partly because of the throngs of people just across the border shouting "let us come in!"

Sorry...I guess a lack of sleep has made me a wee bit insensitive. If you ever have a really early flight and think it would be a good idea to stay up all night just to make sure you get to the airport on time...don't do it!

If you picture that little spot on the U.S. weather map that is always the deepest shade of red during the summertime, that's Yuma. Fortunately, the weather is great there this time of year. All next week, the highs are supposed to be in the low to mid-80's, lows near 60, with clear skies. Should be perfect for hiking.

Anyway...in case I don't check in before then...I'll be back in Huntspatch next Saturday. Unfortunately, when I booked my return flight, the fact that the Alabama-Auburn game is being played that day didn't even cross my mind, so it looks like I'll be watching what I can of it during my layover in Dallas. I just hope they have a good sports bar.

See y'all later, and...

Roll Tide!