Tuesday, January 02, 2007
On this day:

Targeting Che

Target has stopped selling Che Guevara CD cases. Good for them, but why did they choose to stock them to begin with?

I read about this little controversy shortly before Christmas in this Investor's Business Daily editorial, so in my last-minute shopping (which was all of my shopping, come to think of it) I made a point to verify it at the local Target store here in Huntsville. Sure enough, they had one (and only one) - a CD case with Che's ugly thug-mug emblazoned on the front.

This may not be anything to get terribly excited about, but it certainly indicates poor judgment on Target's part. Aren't there any adults in charge at Target? Do they really think it's a good idea to play into youthful idolization an unrepentant murderer like Guevara?

I want to like Target - I really do. They are keeping other retailers on their toes, and that's a good thing, but there's not much that gets on my nerves more than glorifying dead Communists. On that note, they could make up for this particular lapse by stocking some of these.