Monday, March 24, 2008
On this day:

You want a beer mixed with what??

This sounds absolutely wretched: a mixture of Bud Light and Clamato, with a little salt and lime added in. It sounds at first like a perfect drink for hung over mermaids, but apparently it's popular enough here on dry land to have earned a name - a "chelada."

And you'll be happy to know that the new Bud Chelada, representing Anheuser-Busch's greatest contribution to the brewing industry since Tequiza, is now available in Alabama. I saw it for the first time just minutes ago at the Shell station on the corner of Airport and Whitesburg.

You can find some interesting reviews here. This is my favorite:
Appearance: Pours a nuclear orange hue with several large bubbles that dissipate quickly. Looks like fruit punch. How do you grade this? What is the expectation for a tomato beer?

Smell: Tomatoes Beer and Feet

Taste: An odd combination of beer, tomatoes, salt, and lime. There is so much going on here. Faintly reminiscent of vomit.

Mouthfeel: You would think something with tomato juice would have more body.

Drinkability: I am not going to drink any more of these, and I may not finish this one. If someone wanted this style of drink badly enough, they should make their own.

Later . . . okay. It is growing on me a little. I will finish the can 16oz); raising my drinkability score by .5 a point.
In a slightly less positive review, another guy writes this summary:

Bud Light Chelada is proof that the gods of beer have a dark and mean sense of humor. This has to be the vilest and nastiest beer I’ve drank in my life. It’s not pleasant in any way or shape. It actually brought tears to my eyes at the thought of having to drink the whole 22 ounces and made me do the “it’s icky” dance. Any of you with young kids knows what I’m talking about. I’m not joking when I warn you, for the love of all that is good and right in the world, DO NOT DRINK THIS BEER. I give it .5 out of 10. Yes, point five out of ten.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go gargle with Everclear.
So, who's gonna try it? Any volunteers?