Monday, March 30, 2009
On this day:

Take the Limbaugh challenge

I'm a conservative and a Republican, and I'm unabashedly unashamed of Rush Limbaugh. I agree with him 90% of the time. As for the 10% of the time I don't agree with him, I still appreciate him for his sincerity.

Rush Limbaugh says what he believes, straight up and without reservation (unless perhaps a dutiful regard for the four Cardinal virtues* constitutes a "reservation").

How many politicians or other celebrities do that? Heck, how many of us who blog regularly - or semi-regularly, as has been the case with me of late - do that?

And so I join Andrew Klaven in challenging my friends - the liberals, the conservatives, and the fence-straddling moderates - to take the Limbaugh Challenge:
I listen to Limbaugh every chance I get, and I have never heard the man utter a single racist, hateful or stupid word. Do I always agree with him? Of course not. I'm a conservative; I think for myself. But Limbaugh, by turns insightful, satiric, raucously funny and wise, is one of the best voices talking about first principles and policy in the country today.

Therefore, I am throwing down my gauntlet at your quivering liberal feet. I hereby issue my challenge -- the Limbaugh Challenge: Listen to the show. Not for five minutes but for several hours: an hour a day for several days. Consider what he has to say -- the real policy material under the jokes and teasing bluster. Do what your intellectual keepers do not want you to do and keep an open mind. Ask yourself: What's he getting at? Why does he say the things he says? Why do so many people of goodwill -- like that nice Mr. Klavan -- agree with him?

The mainstream media (a.k.a. the Matrix) don't want you to listen to Limbaugh because they're afraid he'll wake you up and set you free of their worldview. You don't want to listen to him because you're afraid of the same thing.

Don't believe me? Well, then, gird your loins. Gather your courage. Accept the Limbaugh Challenge. See what happens.

I dare you.
* The four Cardinal virtues, according to Christian tradition, are prudence, justice, temperance and fortitude.