Wednesday, May 24, 2006
On this day:

Alabama gubernatorial candidates comment on America's Idol

The major candidates for Governor have weighed in on Taylor Hicks's big win on American Idol tonight:

Governor Bob Riley:

Patsy and I want to congratulate Mr. Taylor Hicks for his victory tonight on American Idol. This isn't just a victory for Taylor - it is a victory for all Alabamians. As you may know, earlier this month I declared May 16 to be Taylor Hicks Day in Alabama. Well, tomorrow - I will proudly proclaim that 2006 will be known as Taylor Hicks Year in our great state. "Taylor Hicks 2006." Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Finally, Taylor's victory is Alabama's victory in more ways than one. Taylor, like thousands of other Alabamians, was able to find a new job this year. In the four years since I was elected, my administration's economic policies have succeeded beyond our wildest dreams in bringing jobs to everyday Alabamians like Taylor. With your support, the next four years can be just as fruitful.

Lt. Governor Lucy Baxley:
Congratulations, Taylor! Alabamians love Lucy, and now they love Taylor, too! This is such a great honor! In this campaign, I have taken a strong stand in favor of good music. I can't make any promises, but as Governor, I will seriously consider appointing Taylor Hicks to a special committee to encourage more young people to develop their musical talents. Most young people in this state couldn't carry a tune in a towsack, and we need to change that. Let's start on June 6!
Judge Roy Moore:
I don't watch American Idol because, as all God-fearing Alabamians know, the Second Commandment forbids idolotry. I've been told by friends, however, that Mr. Hicks failed to acknowledge God following his performance tonight. As a matter of fact, all that hip-swaying and other foolishness could very well have prevented other people from acknowledging God. As Governor, I will never fail to acknowledge God. I acknowledged God at least 7 times a day while I was Chief Justice, and I will do the same as Governor. The failure to acknowledge God at every opportunity - whether by a public official or a rock singer - is a disgrace - both immoral and unconstitutional. Immorality and unconstitutionality are a product of liberal, back-stabbing judges like Bill Pryor. I have no reason to believe that Taylor Hicks is a liberal judge, but he seems to act like one.
Former Governor Don Siegelman:
Congratulations to Taylor Hicks. He represents the very best of what Alabama has to offer. If the people of Alabama elect me as their Governor, not only will I make sure that Alabama gets a state lottery, I will name the lottery tickets after Taylor. They'll be called "Hicks Tix," and they'll be available at every gas station and convenience store in the state.