Monday, November 08, 2004
On this day:

Big Ben, Parliament...Big Ben, Parliament

Huntsville has a new roundabout, and it's creating tons of confusion. I haven't driven on this one yet, but in light of some unpleasant experiences with roundabouts in D.C. and Boston, I'm not very openminded on the subject. I've also seen one in tiny Whitesburg, Georgia that seems to work pretty well, although come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing any traffic in it.

One fellow who drove through the new roundabout has a pretty strong opinion of the matter: "I've never seen anything like this. This is stupid. Ain't no telling what they've spent. They could have put up a $1,000 traffic light, and it'd beat the hell out of this $100,000 circle."

Actually, it turns out that they are cheaper than signalized intersections, but nonetheless, I agree with this guy's general sentiment. Roundabouts are Yankees and Englishmen. If anyone wants to drive on them, they can go North or take a trip across the ocean.