Saturday, October 08, 2005
On this day:

Sessions: Miers "could be in trouble with Republican Senators"

Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, takes what I believe to be a very sound approach to the Miers nomination.

"Generally I think you want somebody that's well-versed on these cases and the Supreme Court jurisprudence," said Sessions, a Republican member of the Judiciary Committee, which will hold Miers' confirmation hearing. "She will not have that experience. There's just no doubt about that." ...

"It's the Souter factor," Sessions said. "I think conservatives do not have confidence she has a well-formed judicial philosophy and they are afraid she might drift and be a part of the activist group like Justice Souter has. She will need to articulate a vision of the Constitution and the role of a judge that is sound or she could be in trouble with the Republican senators."

However, Sessions said he is neither endorsing her nor expressing likely opposition. He simply wants more answers.

"If I felt her philosophy was not well-formed enough or she had other
liabilities that I'm not aware of, I don't feel obligated to vote for her,"
Sessions said. "But I give a presumption to the president."